Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: Center for Puerto Rican Studies, Hunter College – CUNY
Job Location: New York City
Salary Range: $25 / Hour
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Responsibilities:
The Project Archivist is responsible for the arrangement and description of personal papers and records of organizations in Centro Archives holdings.
• Appraisal and description of materials.
• Weeding and inventorying of collections.
• Writing, researching and editing finding aids, reports, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and web content.
• Supervising and training college assistant and/or work-study student for this project.
• Working collaboratively with staff in a team environment on a variety of projects.
• Masters in Library and Information Science, or equivalent degree, with a specialization in archival management.
• Professional experience processing archival collections.
• Demonstrated understanding of the principles of arrangement and description, and familiarity with archival standards, specifically DACS.
• Ability to recognize archival preservation issues and to apply basic preservation
• Knowledge of the history of Latino and/or Puerto Rican populations and communities in the US.
• Working knowledge of both English and Spanish languages.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Strong organization and time-management skills; attention to accuracy and detail is essential.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access and also Encoded Archival Description (EAD).