Job Opening Title: Archives Technician
Employer Name: Walter P. Reuther Library
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Salary Range: $20/hour
Link to job posting: http://jobs.wayne.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=210230
Years of experience required: 1-2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Archives Technician works with designated Reuther staff to improve user experience by facilitating discovery of collections. Working closely with the Labor & Urban Affairs Archivist, the Archives Technician will arrange and describe the Edward Littlejohn Papers (approximately 62.5 linear feet). The Littlejohn Papers is part of the Damon J. Keith Law Collection of African American Legal History in partnership with the WSU Law School and the Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights. Professor Littlejohn is a retired WSU law professor whose unique collection documents Michigan-based African-American lawyers and judges as well as select cases affecting African Americans.
Hours and Duration: Position will be for an estimated 350 hours, at up to 20 hours per week. Renewal of position for additional processing work with Damon J. Keith collections based on performance and funding availability.
Location: Requires on-site work at Reuther Library within the M-F 9-5 WSU work week and according to WSU and Reuther Library COVID safety protocols for staff.
– Physical arrangement of collection material, including papers, publications, as well as potentially some audiovisual materials
– Preservation of collection materials (rehousing)
– Description of collection materials using ArchivesSpace, resulting in a finding aid
– MLIS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
– 1-2 years experience processing archival collections
– Previous experience in archives or library environment
– Knowledge of archival standards and best practices
– Excellent communication, organization, and computer skills
– Ability to lift 30 lbs.
Experience with ArchivesSpace