Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: The Riverside Church of NY
Job Location: New York, NY
Salary Range: $31.25 per hour
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Job Title: Project Archivist
Reports to: Director of the Archives
Date: August 2022
Scheduled: Full time, Temporary, 9 months
Work Week: Monday- Friday 9 AM – 5 PM
The Riverside Church in the City of New York is seeking an experienced Project Archivist to assist in the management of its collection of architectural and engineering drawings that document Riverside’s structural, mechanical, and electrical infrastructure. The Project Archivist will inventory, arrange, describe, and re-house the drawings to make them accessible to Riverside Engineering and Properties staff for ongoing maintenance, renovations, and new construction projects, as well as to preserve them as permanent archival records. The Project Archivist will also assist in identifying and preparing portions of the collection for future digitization and conservation.
Modeled after the 13th century Gothic cathedral in Chartres, France, The Riverside Church was constructed in the late 1920s utilizing modern building techniques and materials to bolster the medieval religious aesthetic infused throughout the exterior and interior of the building. The South Wing was added to the original structure in 1959, expanding the church to cover two city blocks. The architectural and engineering drawing collection ranges in date from the 1920s to the 2000s and includes original hand-drawn designs, printed schematics from computer programs, and reproductions from photomechanical processes on tracing paper, drafting cloth, paper, and film.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
– Undertake physical and intellectual organization and arrangement of architectural and engineering drawings.
– Identify duplicate materials and provide recommendations for their disposition.
– Create inventory and descriptions/catalog records of the collection utilizing archival metadata standards in Riverside’s content management system.
– House, label, and prepare collection for preservation and archival storage; provide conservation recommendations if needed.
– Identify and prepare “master set” of drawings for digitization.
– Develop RFP for future digitization in collaboration with the Director of the Archives.
– Other responsibilities and special projects as assigned.
Experience and Education Requirements:
• Masters in Library and Information Science, Archives and Records Management, or related field.
• 3-5 years of experience in archives or libraries with at least 3 years of experience processing archival collections.
• Familiarity with architectural and engineering records or subject knowledge is preferred.
• Knowledge of archival standards of metadata and description.
• Proficiency with archival content management systems is preferred.
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills with aptitude for detailed work.
• Ability to work both independently and part of a team.
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.