Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: Houston Public Library, African American Library at the Gregory School
Job Location: Houston, TX
Application Deadline: September 5
Salary Range: $63,310
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The African American Library at the Gregory School (AALGS), Houston Public Library (HPL) preserves archival and local history materials that document the experience of African Americans in Houston, Texas, and the surrounding region.
AALGS and HPL seek a temporary full-time contract Project Archivist for a grant funded position. This position has a flexible start date and will conclude on June 30, 2023. The archivist will process (arrange, describe, and digitize) accruals to the Ben Desoto Photographs, including analog and born digital materials, provide a finding aid, metadata, and historical context for the collection. This position is onsite with standard business hours Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.
Title: Project Archivist
Type of Appointment: Grant Funded
Closing Date: September 5
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Arranges and describes and catalogs photographic, manuscript, and born digital materials
• Creates DACS compliant finding aid
• Scans and digitize archival materials using imaging equipment
• Creates metadata for items selected for digitization
• Reports statistics related to activities, extent processed, a quantity of materials digitized and other information pertinent for reporting purposes
• Writes related social media and newsletter articles
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and information science required, or equivalent accredited degree, with raining in archives management
• Two or more years of professional experience processing within an archives and special collections or historical society or related cultural heritage institution; Experience with archival processing, digital projects and born digital materials
• Experience using of archival and library metadata standards, systems, and best practices (EAD, MARC, DACS, RDA) required. Demonstrated knowledge of ArchivesSpace (or similar) preferred
• Demonstrated experience arranging and describing archival materials and preparing finding aids of varying size and complexity.
• Advanced organizational and analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
• Ability to work well in a collaborative, team-based environment
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
As the position is grant funded, the annual salary is not negotiable and includes no benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Email, cover letter, sample finding aid and resume to the Assistant Manager/Lead Archivist at email@example.com. Please include Project Archivist within the subject line of your email. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.