Job Opening Title: Archivist
Employer Name: Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library
Job Location: Bristol, PA
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000/annual salary
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library invites applications for Archivist, a full-time library position.
Are you interested in working for a vital and active community organization? Does working with the public energize and excite you? Are you enthusiastic about history and archival work? Are you looking for an opportunity to express your creativity through your work? If you answered “yes” to these questions, we encourage you to apply for this unique position that combines reference and archive work in a high-energy, encouraging and collaborative workplace.
Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library is an award-winning library serving Bristol Borough and surrounding areas. Our mission is “Opening doors, inspiring minds, connecting community.” We achieve this through outstanding and personalized customer service, high quality programming, free and open access to technologies and the internet, specialized services to support research in the areas of local history, nonprofits and grantseeking, and active community outreach.
The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library is funded by The Grundy Foundation, which also supports the Grundy Museum. For more information about the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library, visit our website at http://www.grundylibrary.org.
Primary Responsibilities: Reporting to the Library Director, the Archivist provides friendly professional customer service as it relates to information/reference, reader’s advisory, and related information services to all ages and especially in the areas of local history and genealogy. Oversees the preservation, organization, cataloging and maintenance of local history documents, photographs and artifacts in the Foundation Archive, which includes collections related to the history of Bristol Borough and the Grundy family as well as institutional records. Responsible for the acquisition, assessment, processing, preservation, digitization, records management, planning, security, and search and retrieval systems of the Archive. Coordinates the efforts of a team in the planning, creation, and implementation of interactive exhibits, programming, research, and other services. Oversees volunteer activities as related to the Archive. Serve as liaison to history-related community groups and organizations. Actively participates on library teams.
Other duties: The Archivist also provides services in the areas of circulation, reference, collection development, outreach, and instruction. Prepares informational, instructional, and promotional materials; provides hands-on technology assistance and instruction; enforces Library, Museum, and Foundation policies; assists with maintenance of library collection in all formats; conducts online reference services; provides visitor information services; conducts tours and make presentations to groups at both the Library and the adjacent Grundy Museum (late-Victorian house museum); performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor of Arts or Master’s degree in Archival Studies, Library and/or Information Science, Museum Studies, or history- related field with formal training in archives management and preservation or commensurate experience
• Minimum of two years’ professional archive or archive related work experience
• Knowledge of standard and emerging archival and information science technologies
• Experience and understanding of Describing Archives: A Content Standards (DACS)
• Demonstrated expertise with databases, content management systems, digital asset management systems, film/video elements, and digital formats
• Knowledge of and experience in applying metadata standards
• Knowledge of best practices in basic preventative conservation and preservation
• Knowledge of archive accessioning and research practices
• Knowledge of archive digitization standards and best practices
• Knowledge of best practices and ability to perform archival and genealogical research
• Experience using online databases for research purposes
• Demonstrated capacity to lead, motivate, assess, and supervise people and processes
• Experience handling a wide range of special collections materials including, but not limited to, maps, large photographs, rare books, and artifacts
• Knowledge of current and classic adult materials and standard reference sources in various formats
• Knowledge of principles and practices of reference and reader’s advisory services
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of collection development and maintenance
• Knowledge of and fluency in the use of computers and other devices, the internet, email, social media, and cloud computing
• Good stamina; ability to stand on feet and walk most of the day; easily operates computer keyboards, mice, printers, and other devices; ability to climb ladders, kneel, bend, stoop, and reach repeatedly; lift and carry library material weighing 30 lbs. and push book carts weighing 125 lbs.
• Experience with ArchivesSpace information management system
• Experience with Omeka web publishing/content management platform
• Experience planning and executing exhibitions of archival material
• Experience working in a public library setting
• Experience with desktop design, Microsoft Publisher and Canva
• Experience with OCLC Wise integrated library system
Required Skills: Self-motivated and proactive; makes decisions based on good business practices and library philosophy; excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills; highly organized; warm, approachable, and outgoing personality; tact, courtesy, and flexibility; initiative; commitment to public service. Strong technology skills, especially with computers and mobile devices, extensive experience with Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, and online searching. Ability to adapt to a changing work environment.
All library positions require criminal background and child abuse clearances.
Compensation: $45,000-50,000 annually (dependent on education and experience); competitive benefits package.
Hours: 40 hours per week including some evenings and Saturdays.
Application: Please submit a cover letter of application, current resume, and three references to Dana Barber, Library Director, Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library, 680 Radcliffe Street, Bristol, PA 19007 or email them to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately. Position open until filled.