Job Opening Title: Part-Time Librarian/Archivist
Employer Name: The Herb Society of America
Job Location: Kirtland, Ohio
Application Deadline: September 25, 2022
Salary Range: $25.00 per hour
Years of experience required: some experience preferred
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position Announcement: Part-Time Librarian/Archivist
The Herb Society of America, a non-profit 501c3 organization headquartered in Kirtland, Ohio, seeks an experienced candidate for a part-time librarian/archivist position.
The Society has been promoting herbs and educating the public about herbs since 1933. With over 2,000 members located across the United States, the group supports the National Herb Garden at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC and numerous public gardens throughout the country. In addition to a vibrant herbal education program, the organization actively promotes conservation efforts through its GreenBridgesTM and Notable NativesTM programs.
The Society houses a 205 linear-foot archive of materials in various formats dating from the founding of the organization in 1933 to the present. The Society also houses a 3,600 book and periodical collection relating to the botany, horticulture, and use of herbs. A rare book collection belonging to The Society is housed at the Holden Arboretum Library.
The organization seeks a professionally trained, experienced librarian/archivist to process physical and digital archival acquisitions into existing record groups and to make recommendations for the ongoing management and preservation of the archive collection. The successful candidate will also manage the library’s collection and make recommendations for collection improvement.
Hours are flexible, up to 20 hours per month. The position reports to the Executive Director and liaises with the Chair of the Library Advisory Committee. The deadline for applications is September 25, 2022. Email resume and three references to:
Laura Lee Martin, Executive Director
The Herb Society of America
9019 Kirtland Chardon Road
Kirtland, OH 44094
• Process materials in accordance with The Society’s archival policies and guidelines and professional standards.
• Arrange and describe unprocessed records using existing record groups and series included in the established “Inventory of Records and Manuscripts in the Herb Society of America Archives, 1933-2020”.
• Update and revise the inventory as needed.
• Shift materials as necessary to optimize arrangement and allow for the addition of future materials.
• Make recommendations to the Executive Director concerning The Society’s existing records management policies and disposal schedules in consultation with the Executive Director, Treasurer, Board of Directors, and Library Advisory Committee.
• Identify and make recommendations for the physical care and preservation of inactive, permanent records having historical value and suggest their transfer to the archives.
• Implement a process for transfer of born-digital documents (publications, reports, meeting minutes etc.) into the archival collection.
• Fulfill member and board member requests for archival information.
• Make recommendations for ongoing management and preservation of the archives.
• Manage the library’s book collection using the Library World online catalog.
• Order and process books into the collection as needed.
• Fill member requests for books from the collection and monitor circulation status of books.
• Maintain the organization of the collection.
• Make recommendations to the Executive Director for the improvement of the collection.
• Periodically update the Library Advisory Committee regarding the status of the library, archives, and rare book collection.
• Liaise with the Chair of the Library Advisory Committee regarding the collection.
• MLS/MLIS librarian/archivist graduate professional degree from an American Library Association accredited university preferred. Advanced archival degree will be considered.
• Ability to lift materials weighing up to 40 pounds and ability to tolerate dust.
• Horticultural or botanical background or interest helpful, but not necessary.
• Library experience preferred.
Supervisor: This position reports to the Executive Director of The Herb Society of America, Inc.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding management skills, a high level of initiative, creative and flexible problem-solving skills and ability to work independently.
Compensation: $25 per hour