Job Opening Title: Technical Director
Employer Name: Texas Archive of the Moving Image
Job Location: Austin, Texas
Application Deadline: Open until filled; Application review begins October 22
Salary Range: $38-$50 an hour; 32 hours a week
Link to job posting: https://texasarchive.org/node/85354
Years of experience required: 2+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI) seeks a contractor to act as technical director and lead the organization’s digitization and asset management efforts. This position will oversee a film digitization specialist as well as seasonal interns and will work in tandem with TAMI’s curator to develop and maintain metadata.
– Leading TAMI’s digitization team by developing, managing, and refining workflows for digitizing audiovisual collections and maintaining related digital assets.
– Setting up, installing and maintaining analog/digital video and film preservation stations including a variety of video tape decks.
– Digitizing a variety of film and video tape formats while collecting relevant metadata.
– Selecting, training, assigning and reviewing work of interns and other digitization contractors.
– Researching and proposing new digital tools for maintaining digital assets as well as expanding access to and discoverability of collections and improving website integrations.
– Oversee organizational IT including but not limited to creating email and server logins, managing the Synology NAS, coordinating cloud backups, troubleshooting application and software problems.
– Administrate, evaluate and assist in the integration of TAMI’s database/workflow systems.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
– Strong leadership and problem-solving skills
– In-depth knowledge of and technical experience with digitization of audiovisual assets (specifically video)
– Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
– Knowledge of metadata standards and best practices for digital AV archives
– Strong data management and time management skills, with a keen attention to detail
– Ability to work independently and to collaborate as part of a team
– Must be able to stoop, bend and lift up to 20 pounds
– Ability to be flexible and work on multiple projects simultaneously
– Ability to set up, maintain, troubleshoot, and perform minor repairs, and resolve routine and non-routine problems with analog and digital video equipment, film equipment, current and legacy computer hardware and software
– Proficiency with PC and Mac OS, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Cloud, html, database applications such as Filemaker Pro, Salesforce, and Glifos
– Bachelor’s degree required; Archival Certification and/or MA degree preferred.
– Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience working with audiovisual/time-based media collections
Contract: $38 – $50 per hour, 32 hours a week for 48 weeks a year
Location: Candidates must be able to primarily work from office at 3908 Avenue B, Ste. 105, Austin, TX 78751
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Technical Director Application.”
About the Texas Archive of the Moving Image: Founded in 2002, Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization working to discover, preserve, provide access to, and educate the community about Texas’ film heritage. TAMI partners with the Office of the Governor’s Texas Film Commission to administer the Texas Film Round-Up program, which provides free digitization for Texas-related films and videotapes, online access to a selection of the contributed materials, and statewide public programming, as well as creates educator resources using these newly digitized Texas media in the classroom.