Job Opening Title: Media Collection Specialist
Employer Name: Smithsonian Libraries and Archives, Audiovisual Media Preservation Initiative
Job Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: 11/11/2022
Salary Range: $61,947 – $80,532 USD
Link to job posting: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/686059100
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Two selections may be made from this announcement.
The Audiovisual Media Preservation Initiative (AVMPI) is a new, centralized program that supports the preservation needs of audio, video, and film collections found across the Smithsonian Institution. In order to stem the tide of irreparable loss, the initiative is focusing on five main goals to enhance the public’s access to the Institution’s audiovisual collections: facility development, collection prioritization, workflow development, increased digital infrastructure, and innovative accessibility solutions.
To support these goals, the Media Collection Specialist(s) will:
– Create descriptive and technical metadata in partnership with unit stakeholders for collection items selected and received as part of AVMPI.
– Label and add unique identifiers (e.g. barcodes) to individual collection items to assist in tracking materials through a standard workflow. Track progress using supported software.
– Identify and inspect various forms of audiovisual analog legacy formats, including film, audio, and video elements, to evaluate physical condition and determine stabilization needs of media elements for digitization.
– Perform conservation work on collection materials, to include treatment, cleaning, and rehousing, to stabilize and prepare collection materials for digitization.
– Coordinate with unit stakeholders to receive collections selected for digitization and preservation. Assist in identifying formats and in determining appropriateness of collections selected for preservation by AVMPI.