Job Opening Title: Processing Archivist
Name of Employer: Admiral Nimitz Foundation/National Museum of the Pacific War
Job Site Location : Fredericksburg, TX
Application Deadline: 1/31/2023
Minimum Degree Requirement: MLS
Years of experience required: 1-3 years
Salary Range: $42k – $45k
Job opening URL:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
Founded in 1971 as a 501(c)3, the Foundation since 2005, in an agreement with the Texas Historical Commission, manages and provides financial support to the State-owned National Museum of the Pacific War in order to:
• Preserve and exhibit the material history of the war in the North, Central and South Pacific Ocean, Southeast Asia, and Asia during World War II.
• Offer and participate in programs that honor all veterans past and present and in programs that provide strategic insights into national security issues affecting our country.
• Support education concerning the American experience in the Pacific Area during World War.
• Preserve and exhibit the material history of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz.
• Provide the general public, researchers, teachers and historians with a readily accessible platform for the exploration of the War in the Pacific during World War II.
Working for the Archives and Library Director, the Processing Archivist will collaborate with the Director to arrange and describe collections. The Processing Archivist will also collaborate to produce paper and electronic finding aids that are in accordance with standard professional practices. The Processing Archivist will utilize both the “More Product, Less Process” (MPLP) and flexible levels approaches in order to create the greatest possible access to “hidden collections” in the archives.
Scope of Collection
The Archives and Library collection at the National Museum of the Pacific War reflects the wartime lives and experiences of service members from all branches of the military who participated in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater of World War II. The bulk of the collection consists of letters, diaries, scrapbooks, photographs, documents, oral histories, and ephemeral items that relate to individual service members. Research collections contributed by historians and archives kept by several reunion associations make up the remainder of the collection.
• Familiarity with archival best practices.
• Experience with archival processing.
• Experience creating DACS-compliant, EAD-encoded finding aids.
• Working knowledge of LCSH.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently in a collaborative environment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Master’s degree from an accredited library school with an archival concentration or equivalent professional experience and/or continuing education.
• 1-3 years hands-on archival processing experience and ability to apply MPLP theory and methodology.
Preferred Skills and/or Comprehension
• Experience using Re:discovery or a similar archival management system.
• Familiarity with significant people, places and things associated with the Asiatic-Pacific Theater in World War II.
This is a Full Time, salaried position in the range of $42,000 to $45,000 with health insurance, sick leave, paid vacation and holidays. A 403(b)7 retirement savings account is offered. The applicant’s lifestyle must be flexible enough to work evenings and weekends, when required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The Admiral Nimitz Foundation is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity with respect to all employees, applicants, and interns for employment. We recruit, hire, train, and promote without discrimination due to race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, citizenship, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please submit resume, cover letter and the names of three references to Chris McDougal, Director of Archives & Library, firstname.lastname@example.org.