Job Opening Title:
Director of Archives
Name of Employer:
Loretto Literary and Benevolent Institution
Job Site Location :
515 Nerinx Rd., Nerinx, KY 40049
Minimum Degree Requirement:
Years of experience required:
Job opening URL:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
Loretto Literary and Benevolent Institution has an outstanding opportunity for a Director of Archives!
About the Community and our Archives:
Founded on the Kentucky frontier in 1812 as Friends of Mary at the Foot of the Cross, the first sisters dedicated their lives to God as religious women and to educating the economically poor children of the area. Over the years, as the Community grew, the sisters eventually established missions not only in Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Wyoming, California, and Virginia, but also in China, South America, Africa, and Pakistan. Today, the name Loretto Community incorporates two types of membership in Loretto: sisters who make public profession of vows and co-members who affiliate with the spirit and mission of the Community.
Located in Nerinx, KY (approximately one hour outside of Louisville) the Loretto Heritage Center includes both an Archive and a Museum where the 200-year history of the Sisters of Loretto and the 40-year history of the Loretto Community are documented in paper, artifacts and richly interpretive exhibits.
Why is this Director of Archives Opportunity unique?
The Loretto Heritage Center is embarking on a significant transition in the approach to the archives. This includes researching and planning opportunities to preserve the archives of the Loretto Community in alternative repositories. This critical undertaking will shape the day-to-day activities of the Director of Archives. The individual in this role will divide their time creating and executing the plan to relocate archives, while ensuring the proper acquisition and processing of new archives.
This dual focus will result in the following breakdown of responsibilities:
(50%) Creates and implements the long-term plan for the archives of the Loretto Community at alternative repositories.
• Developing and implementing the plan to relocate Community archives to alternate repositories;
• Defining criteria for selecting items to be maintained in future repositories;
• Consulting with Loretto Leadership on archival matters such as the sale or disposition of items of historical value;
• Developing and managing the Heritage Center’s annual budget.
(30%) Responsible for managing and maintaining the institutional archives, personal papers, and photograph collections of the Sisters of Loretto and the Loretto Community.
(15%) Leads and develops the outstanding team of archival staff, interns and volunteers.
(5%) Maintains Heritage Center facilities and equipment.
This position offers a unique and challenging opportunity for an experienced Archivist. The qualified candidate will possess:
• Master’s degree or equivalent in Archival Studies, Public History, Library Science, or Archival Studies;
• 3+ years of full-time employment in archival practice;
• 2+ years of leadership experience, including managing a team of archivists or curators;
• Previous experience with budgets, project management and change management;
• A strong sense of responsibility, confidentiality, and collegiality.
In addition to the professional development experience that comes with this role, we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including:
• Base salary of $55,000 – $65,000;
• 20 days of Paid Time Off plus a generous paid holiday schedule;
• Medical and dental insurance coverage;
• Group life insurance and long-term disability plans;
• Tax Sheltered Annuity plan with matching after two years.