Job Opening Title:
DAMS Metadata Intern
Name of Employer:
Loretto Heritage Center
Job Site Location (City, State) :
Minimum Degree Requirement:
current graduate student
Years of experience required:
Job Opening URL:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
The Loretto Heritage Center Museum and Archives, the repository for the 210-year history of the Sisters of Loretto, is seeking an archives intern for Summer 2023. The Summer 2023 internship is a remote, part-time position with flexible hours and schedule based on intern availability and needs. The intern will work in our Digital Asset Management System (DAMS) to organize digital assets and code metadata for searchability.
Working under the supervision of the Heritage Center Director and the Archivist, the metadata intern will work to process a portion of the Peg Jacobs Photo Collection, a large collection of digital photos taken over two decades at the Motherhouse in Nerinx, KY. The photographs have been uploaded to the Heritage Center’s digital asset management system and are in the process of being coded with additional metadata. The intern will use a mixture of controlled and uncontrolled vocabulary to tag photos for searchability as well as fill in custom fields with information for Loretto’s Communications team. In addition to metadata input, the intern will also reorganize the digital assets from layers of folders and subfolders into an order that makes sense within the overarching system. Periodic Zoom meetings between the intern, Director, and Archivist will ensure that the project stays on course and will serve as an opportunity for questions and discussion.
• Coding metadata on digital assets, mainly photographs in Canto (DAMS)
• Checking for duplication of photographs and other digital assets
• Creating a new digital organization for the digital assets while maintaining the context of the original order
• Current or recent graduate student in Library and Information Science, Public History, or related field with a concentration or strong focus on archives.
• Interest in women’s, United States, religious, and 19th-20th century history.
This internship is entirely remote and will be completed online. Occasional Zoom calls will be required Monday-Friday 9-5 ET. The majority of the work will be completed on the intern’s own schedule. A stable internet connection and access to a computer are required.
Job Requirements and Stipend:
This is a paid internship requiring 10-20 hours of work per week during the Summer 2023 semester. Start and end dates are flexible based on the candidate’s schedule.
The intern will receive a $1000 stipend at the conclusion of the internship.
• Send materials to Heritage Center Archivist Reba Weatherford at RWeatherford@LorettoCommunity.org with subject line “[Last Name] Loretto Metadata Internship Application 2023”
o Cover letter
o Resume with work history
o 2 references (academic or professional)
• Deadline for applications is April 30, 2023.