Job Opening Title:
Summer Archives Intern
Name of Employer:
Loretto Heritage Center
Job Site Location (City, State) :
Minimum Degree Requirement:
current or recent graduate student
Years of experience required:
$3000 (stipend dependent on school credit requirements)
Job Opening URL:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
The Loretto Heritage Center Museum and Archives, the repository for the 210-year history of the Sisters of Loretto, is seeking an archives intern for Summer 2023. The Summer 2023 internship will be an 8-week program June-July (dates flexible) with a M-F 30-35 hr work week. The intern will work mainly with our school collections.
Working under the supervision of the Heritage Center Director and the Archivist, the archives intern will work to re-process school materials from Kansas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, with particular focus on Indigenous board school materials at the item level. Processing will include physical organization, description, inputting information into our content management system (CMS), and managing access restrictions.
The archives intern will also work to organize our digital records. Using both the physical records and the digital files, the archives intern will cross-reference and identify digital archival content and separate it from scans and other non-archival materials mixed into the digital files.
• Processing school materials, including CMS entry.
• Rehousing materials, where appropriate, during processing.
• Assessing digital materials, including organization of born-digital materials.
• Creation of social media and exhibit display content showcasing the collections.
• Current or recent graduate student in Library and Information Science, Public History, or related field with a concentration or strong focus on archives.
• Interest in women’s, United States, religious, and 19th-20th century history.
• Spanish-language reading fluency preferred.
The Loretto Heritage Center Archives and Museum is located on the grounds of the Loretto Motherhouse in rural Kentucky (40049). The Motherhouse is approximately 1 hour from Louisville, KY and 1.5 hours from Lexington, KY. The Motherhouse itself sits on approximately 800 acres of farmland, wooded areas, and natural habitat. In addition to the Heritage Center, the campus includes two retreat centers, a skilled nursing care facility, and
a fully operational farm. It is home to around 70 Loretto Community members (both Sisters and Co-Members).
Shared housing on campus may be available.
Job Requirements and Stipend:
This is an unpaid internship requiring 30-35 hrs/wk Monday-Friday for 8 weeks, June-July 2023. Start and end dates are flexible based on the candidate’s schedule. A travel and board stipend of up to $3,000 will be provided. The stipend amount will be based off of school requirements if applicable.
• Send materials to Heritage Center Archivist Reba Weatherford at RWeatherford@LorettoCommunity.org with subject line “[Last Name] Loretto Summer Internship Application 2023”
o Cover letter
o Resume with work history
• References required upon request
• Deadline for applications is April 30, 2023