Job Opening Title:
Paid NAL Space History Collections Intern
Name of Employer:
University of Houston-Clear Lake Archives and Special Collections
Job Site Location (City, State) :
Houston, TX (Clear Lake City area)
June 15, 2023
Minimum Degree Requirement:
Years of experience required:
Senior college undergraduate minimum
Job Opening URL:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
The University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) Archives and Special Collections is seeking to fill the position for a paid internship working with archival collections documenting human space flight history held within the Archives. This internship is funded through an endowment by the NASA Alumni League, Johnson Space Center Chapter (more can be learned about the program here: https://blog.uhcl.edu/news/uhcl-nasa-alumni-league-launch-human-space-flight-archive-internship-endowment). Interested applicants can learn more about the UHCL Archives by exploring this LibGuide on our holdings and operations, and watch a tour video: https://uhcl.libguides.com/UHCLArchivesandSpecialCollections
The internship program aims to provide interns with a well-rounded learning experience working in archives and special collections. The intern will work with collections and materials from and related to the UHCL Archives’ Human Space Flight Collection and the NASA Johnson Space Center History Collection (on long-term loan from NASA and the National Archives and Records Administration). The internship will focus on archival arrangement and description of unorganized collections (i.e. processing) from former Johnson Space Center scientists, engineers, and other personnel in order to make the collections accessible to researchers and the general public. The intern will also be exposed through working with the UHCL Archives’ Associate Director and Archivist to the processes of archival collection acquisition, donor relations, collections management, outreach for archival collections, and selected digitization of collection materials.
• Processing of assigned collections, including physical arrangement, rehousing, preservation treatments, etc.
• Generation of EAD-formmated, DACS-based finding aids, including preparing finding aids for uploading to the Texas Archival Resources Online (TARO).
• Assist UHCL Archives staff in communicating with archives constituents and colleagues, including donors and volunteers.
• Assists Archives staff with reference services and tours as needed
Required qualifications include:
• Senior-level undergraduate student completing a degree program in history, museum studies, archival studies, library science, public history, or related field; or a 1st or 2nd-year graduate student seeking to complete an advanced degree in history, museum studies, archival studies, library science, public history, or related field.
• Undergraduate or graduate coursework in American history
• Basic familiarity with arrangement and description of archival collections.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
• Strong research skills
• Detail-oriented individual with excellent organizational skills
• Familiarity with computer databases and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, ect.)
• Familiarity with digitizing archival materials
• Ability to work independently as well as with students, staff, and volunteers
• Experience working in archives or libraries
Required Application Documents: Cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts
Note to Applicants: Please send application package to Matthew Peek, Associate Director, UHCL Archives and Special Collection, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule: Schedule is flexible depending on successful applicant. Funding supports an intern for a total of 220 paid hours. Interns can have one of two following schedules: work 7 hours maximum per week for 30 weeks during the academic year (September-May); or 220 hours in one semester (average 15-16 hours per week) in one of the two semesters during the academic year (September-May) [for candidates using internship for graduate practicum or internship experience] for 14-15 weeks.