Job Opening Title: ASSOCIATE ARCHIVIST
Institution/Organization Name: Roy Lichtenstein Foundation
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): New York, NY
Application Deadline: January 15, 2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 5
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position Overview:
The Roy Lichtenstein Foundation is looking to hire an Associate Archivist to join an archival team dedicated to the management of Foundation’s archival collections. The Associate Archivist will work under the direction of the Head Archivist and Senior Archivist primarily to process the Foundation’s 500-linear foot collection. The position will require coordination with the staff of the Smithsonian Institution’s Archives of American Art. The Associate Archivist will be required to handle select reference and image requests directly from staff and outside researchers. Further responsibilities include assistance on various exhibition, publication, and research projects.
As the Foundation has announced its eventual sunset, the lifespan of this position is expected to run 3 to 5 years.
About the Foundation:
The Roy Lichtenstein Foundation was chartered as a Private Operating Foundation in 1998, primarily to facilitate public access to the work of Roy Lichtenstein and the art and artists of his time; to create a catalogue raisonné of all known Lichtenstein works; and to share information which could assist the development and education of the next generation of curators, critics and scholars relating to the life and professional career of Roy Lichtenstein.
In 2018 the Foundation announced the launch of two comprehensive, long-term collaborations: the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, and the Smithsonian Institution Archives of American Art, Washington, DC, aimed at facilitating public access to the art and history of Roy Lichtenstein as to the art of mid-to-late twentieth century art.
• Identify, arrange, and process the Foundation’s archival collections
• Coordinate with IT contractors throughout the various stages of digitizing the collection; and assist in metadata entry
• Identify conservation concerns and perform basic preservation practices
• Assist maintenance and coordination of archival collections at onsite and offsite storage facilities
• Develop finding aid at series level, including data migration using spreadsheets
• Provide select reference services for internal and external requests for archival collections, including the Foundation’s large photography collection
• Assist and initiate research projects related to the archival collections
• Other assigned duties as required
• Master of Library and Information Sciences or Archival Studies from an ALA-accredited institution
• Minimum five years of related archival experience
• Practical knowledge of archival theory and best practices
• Familiarity of 20th and 21st century art history, as well as of museum archival records and artists’ archives
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively across an inter-departmental and institutional structure (with Foundation and Estate employees)
• Responsible for using and maintaining dynamic database and library collections management systems, and a basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
• Knowledge and understanding of descriptive standards (DACS), EAD (Encoded Archival Description) finding aids, and digital object records in ArchivesSpace
• Familiarity of legal and ethical issues related to privacy and records restrictions
• Ability to lift materials weighing up to 30lbs
• Demonstrate a commitment to continued professional growth and development
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. The Foundation has a competitive pay scale with excellent benefits.
The Foundation is in the West Village of New York City.
Starting Date: Early/Mid-January 2019. Open until filled. If interested, please email a resume, cover letter and two references. Include the position title in the subject line and email: email@example.com.