Job Opening Title: Assistant Archivist
Employer Name: The Winthrop Group, Inc.
Job Location: Portland OR
Application Deadline: June 27, 2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: ASSISTANT ARCHIVIST (part-time)
The Winthrop Group is seeking to hire a part-time Assistant Archivist to manage the archives of a family-owned company based in Portland, OR. Over the course of a year, the Assistant Archivist will work in the client’s archives for approximately one day a week, or two days every other week, with the possibility of additional special projects should they arise.
Manage the company archives, ensuring easy accessibility to the collection and long-term preservation of all materials.
• Reference – respond to requests for archival materials and/or historical information. from management and employees and, if approved, from scholars, journalists, or members of the public.
• Outreach and advocacy – work with and educate company staff to maximize use of collections and understanding of archives as a rich and useful company resource.
• Collection development – identify and collect archival materials in all formats.
• Accession, process, and prepare finding aids for paper records and artifacts in accord with professional standards and procedures established for the archives.
• Accession and process born-digital and digitized records.
• Provide support for development of small historical exhibits, publications, web pages, visual presentations, and/or other materials that may be used for meetings, events, and communications.
• Prepare regular updates and special activity reports as requested.
• Master’s Degree in Library & Information Science.
• Minimum of two (2) years of direct archival experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of standard archival collections management practices and procedures, including accessioning, processing, object handling, etc.
• Experience using and managing digital archival records and collections databases.
• Familiarity with digitization projects preferred.
• Ability to prioritize assignments and work effectively under time constraints.
• Aptitude for formulating and implementing goals and objectives.
• Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
• Familiarity with basic preservation techniques.
• Flexibility with scheduled assignments.
• Excellent collaboration and communications skills.
• Ability and willingness to work alone or as a cooperative team member.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• Able to lift and move objects up to 40 lbs.
Hourly rate based on experience and level of qualifications.
E-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and names, titles, and contact information for three (3) references to:
Consulting Archivist & Historian
The Winthrop Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 783
Clinton WA 98236