Job Opening Title: Contract Archivist
Employer Name: Friends of Lorenzo Historic Site
Job Location: Cazenovia, New York
Application Deadline: February 15
Salary Range: Contract, hourly
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: see description below
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Contract Archivist
The Lorenzo State Historic site, located in Cazenovia, NY, is seeking a contract employee to establish intellectual control over its archival holdings.
The archive consists of about 280 linear feet of material, including land records from the Holland Land Company and family records covering more than 150 years of continuous residence at the mansion. Those include photos, maps, letters, clippings, cook books, and other materials.
Incumbent will arrange the collections into usable record groups or collections to facilitate intellectual control and facilitate future digitization efforts. The incumbent will create EAD finding aids and make them available through EmpireADC for all archival holdings and the Friends website. These will serve as the primary access points for researchers to discover Lorenzo’s unique holdings. These tasks will involve:
1. Establishing record groups/collection titles for archival materials to provide a hierarchical arrangement useful for cataloging and discovery.
2. Establishing intellectual arrangements (does not require physically moving materials) for these record groups/collections to provide context among the records and create usable inventories.
3. Creating inventories for the record groups/collections to at least the series level, but without going to the item level. Series or folder titles will be sufficient for the purposes of this project and arrangement and description work is most efficiently done at these levels. Item level description should be left for future digitization efforts.
4. Creating Encoded Archival Description (EAD) finding aids for these Record Groups/Collections, using their free encoding tool. These finding aids can be hosted on the Friends of Lorenzo website and indexed in the EmpireADC for increased discoverability. Using a structural standard like EAD means these finding aids can be shared, migrated, and mined as data by many computer systems and for multiple uses.
5. Identifying record groups/collections with sufficient informational and/or historical value to qualify for future digitization efforts.
•MSLIS (or MLIS) or related degree, or at least 5 years of experience in an archival processing role
•Working knowledge of Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)
•Experience arranging and describing archival materials
•Well versed in best practices for archival arrangement and description and the ability to discuss concepts like: original order, provenance, More Product Less Process, and hierarchies of arrangement
•Experience encoding EAD Finding Aids
•Awareness of the EmpireADC repository
•Familiarity with Lorenzo, and the history of the Cazenovia area
Salary, Benefits and Conditions of Appointment
This is a grant-funded, contract position involving a temporary appointment with flexibility in hours. It does not include benefits or constitute civil service status. The position reports to the Director of the site and the representative appointed by the Friends of Lorenzo Board. The work site is stunning and overlooks Cazenovia Lake. The centerpiece of the site is the 1807 federal style home of John Lincklaen, founder of Cazenovia. It is within walking distance of the town of Cazenovia, with shops and restaurants. Staff are helpful, friendly, and welcoming. The collection consists of fascinating memorabilia and historical records. Work on the project would commence sometime in late June or early July.
Email cover letter and vitae, including 3 professional references, to Lorenzo Director Michael Roets no later than February 15. Michael.Roets@parks.ny.gov
Please write ARCHIVIST in the subject line. Applications must include a preliminary proposal covering timing and costs to complete the work described above. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.