Note about revision: This is an extension of a job post that had been sent a few months ago. We’ve changed wording to indicate that this is a four-year position, rather than a yearly contract that has a chance of being renewed.
Job Opening Title: Archivist
Employer Name: Milton Hershey School
Job Location: Hershey, PA
Application Deadline: May 15, 2021
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 2-4 years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.:
History Factory has been engaged by Milton Hershey School to implement a four-year, phased Archives Modernization project focused on laying the foundation for a new access and management model to meet the changing needs of today’s educators, students, and other information consumers. We are seeking an independent contractor to perform and carry out project assignments. Working with School History staff and supervisory archivists at History Factory, the Archivist will follow a preset plan for processing and digitizing the School’s collections.
The Archivist supports Archives Modernization Project goals in the areas of preserving and increasing usability of School History collections. Specifically, the Archivist will apply current best practices to managing processing and digitization projects; and participate in formulating workflows, policy enhancements and improving procedures for archival operations.
The Archivist job is a four-year contract position, and reports to the Supervisory Archivist. The position is full-time and will be allowed a maximum of 32.5 hours per week.
Milton Hershey School was established in 1909, through a trust endowed by Milton S. Hershey and his wife, Catherine. The school provides an education, a stable home life, and community support to children with financial and social need, at no cost to the students’ families. Milton Hershey School’s Archives Collection was started in the early 1930s and is the oldest collection of Hershey materials in Derry Township. The collection contains non-textual records, documents from Milton and Catherine Hershey, and contributions from students and alumni.
• Manage the migration of existing collections data from a legacy archival management system to a new platform.
• Implement collections processing activities (stabilization, arrangement, and description) based on an existing processing plan.
• Implement digitization of collection materials, based on an existing digitization plan.
• Create collection guides and other supplemental discovery and access tools as needed to highlight specific sets of resources.
• Provide support for documentation planning and collection policy implementation.
• Significant experience in archival practice, including knowledge of principles and techniques for determining the proper plan of arrangement for collections and arranging records according to prearranged plans
• Training and experience in the analysis and description of archival records, including the preparation of finding aids such as guides, inventories, lists and catalogs
• Relevant experience and advanced skills with digitization best practices and archival software tools
• Previous experience with school or non-profit organization archives or historical collections
• Graduate degree in information science or history/ALA-accredited Master of Library Science (MLS)
• Ability to manage time under tight deadlines and adjust to changing priorities and needs
• Ability to be self-motivated and work without constant supervision
• Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• 2-4 years of experience in archives
The candidate will be required to obtain the following clearances: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background, and FBI Criminal History Record. Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your previous experience and why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.