Job Opening Title: Cataloging and Metadata Manager
Employer Name: Confidential
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
Application Deadline: February 25, 2022
Salary Range: $75,000-$90,000
Years of experience required: 5+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Cataloging and Metadata Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the arrangement and cataloging of a private archive’s collections. They will be working on developing controlled vocabularies, hierarchical structures within the collections and the application of standards that will be put in place throughout the archive. Supervising the cataloging of materials in all formats in accordance with national and international standards and local requirements and following emerging trends and best practices related to cataloging and metadata. Manager will collaboratively develop workflows and procedures, providing guidance and support to their team. This position will also oversee the rehousing and relocating of materials in the archive, following direction provided by conservation experts. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of the Archive.
The position will include, but will not be limited to, the following tasks:
• Manages cataloging and processing staff in the day-to-day departmental operations.
• Responsible for hiring and retaining department staff, professional development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees.
• Supervise a team; resolve employee relations issues and ensures work completion within schedule and constraints.
• Keeps abreast of emerging trends and best practices and passes that information along to the cataloging team.
• Coordinates the department’s work plan and related planning initiatives, policies and procedures responsive to the archive’s mission, goals, and objectives.
• Develop, maintain, and advise on standards, policies, procedures, and other types of documentation related to cataloging and metadata in order to build continuity and sustainability of operations.
• Communicate regularly with the Archives Director on projects status and timelines.
• Assist archive with other projects as needed.
Qualifications/Key Skills Required
• MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
• 5+ years archival & cataloging experience
• Motivated, creative, team-oriented, and collaborative personality
• Strong supervisory, training and problem-solving skills
• Deep understanding of metadata standards, controlled vocabularies and taxonomies
• Experience organizing or managing projects, balancing priorities, and setting and meeting deadlines
• Exceptional attention to detail, even when working under pressure
• Understanding of the film industry and terminology a plus
Style of Management Required
• Ability to lead and manage a diverse team
• Active listener
• Role model values of teamwork, communication, integrity and respect
• Have presence and commanding of respect from the team
• Warmth, humility and kindness
• Flexible and accepting of change
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.