Job Opening Title: Digital Library Technician, NC Digital Collections (part time, temporary)
Employer Name: SLNC Government & Heritage Library
Job Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Application Deadline: N/A
Salary Range: $16 – $18.29/hr
Years of experience required: N/A
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Job Opening Title: Digital Library Technician, NC Digital Collections (part time, temporary)
Employer Name: State Library of North Carolina
Job Location: Raleigh, NC
Salary Range: $16 – $18.29/hr
The Digital Services Section of the State Library of North Carolina’s Government and Heritage Library has an opening for a Digital Library Technician to work primarily with the NC Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov). This position is a grant funded, temporary, part time (up to 29 hours per week) position in downtown Raleigh. Days and hours are flexible but must fall within normal business hours (M-F, 8-5); position is hybrid, with remote work possible for up to two work days per week. This position is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student interested in cultural heritage resources, digital information management, collection management, or digital libraries.
Description of Work:
This position will work to assist with digitizing and uploading approximately 25,000 pages of state government publications and other materials as prioritized by GHL staff through the Internet Archive and through in-house resources for applicable items. Position will follow digitization processes, which include the creation of metadata; upload items into the digital asset management system CONTENTdm); conduct quality checks; prepare items for preservation storage; and communicate new additions to digital collections to staff and users in collaboration with other Content and Information Delivery (CID) staff. May work on other digital projects as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies
Qualified candidates must possess:
– Basic knowledge and understanding of current practices, policies, and trends in library and information science as they relate to digital and special libraries/archives
– Experience working with content or digital asset management systems (such as Drupal, WordPress, CONTENTdm)
– Basic knowledge of metadata standards (e.g., Dublin Core, METS) or cataloging standards
– Basic knowledge of standard operating systems and information technologies, current scanning hardware and software, image editing software, Adobe Suite, and MS Office
– Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
– Experience using scanning devices for the purposes of digitization
– Skills & abilities in innovative and strategic thinking, project management, and problem solving
– Ability to build and sustain effective working relationships with peers and colleagues; work independently and as part of a team; and perform and coordinate multiple concurrent work assignments
– Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical issues to a variety of audiences
– Demonstrated ability and desire to learn new tools and skills to further enhance access to information
– Demonstrated experience providing exceptional customer service to internal and external customers
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and two years of experience in library services, office support, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
If interested in the position:
Send an email to Jennifer Hanft at email@example.com with the subject line: “Digital Library Technician candidate: [Your Name].” Please attach a current resume, including any applicable information about your interests, skills, background, or experience. Compensation commensurate with experience, between $16 – $18.29/hr.
The SLNC Government & Heritage Library (GHL) is a hybrid library that offers in-person and virtual library services and collections. The library focuses on North Carolina history, government, and family history. Services include reference and instructional services to people of all backgrounds and ages. The Government & Heritage Library is committed to removing barriers to access and ensuring that collections and services reflect diverse perspectives. Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The State Library of North Carolina provides exceptional library service and exceptional service to libraries, helping North Carolinians live more abundant and purposeful lives. The State Library enriches the lives of North Carolinians through access to information resources, strengthens communities through exceptional library services, and inspires and supports literacy and lifelong learning for all North Carolinians.
Please visit our website at statelibrary.ncdcr.gov for more information.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources’ (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve quality of life by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature throughout North Carolina. The Department works to stimulate learning, inspire creativity, preserve the state’s history, conserve the state’s natural heritage, encourage recreation and cultural tourism, and promote economic development. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
Please visit our website at ncdcr.gov for more information.