Job Title: Senior Archivist
Employer Name: The Amblin Hearth Archive
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
Application deadline: open until filled
Salary Range: $32 – $37 an hour
Years of experience required: 5+
The Senior Archivist will be responsible for the arrangement, description, and rehousing of archival materials in a wide variety of formats with an emphasis on analog and digital photographs. The person in this position will create detailed metadata and catalog records in ArchivesSpace and undertake complex projects that adhere to the best professional practices. Some local travel will occasionally be required. This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Cataloging and Metadata Manager.
This position will include, but will not be limited to, the following tasks:
- Processing, cataloging, and rehousing archival materials of all types, such as papers, artwork, textiles, objects, and audio/visual material, with a significant portion dedicated to photographs.
- Ensuring accurate and complete information is included in all records.
- Working with archivists who assist in sorting and preparing materials for processing.
- Collaborating with the digital archivist to process born-digital images.
- Selecting and preparing materials for digitization, according to established workflows.
- Identifying materials for conservation treatment and drafting condition reports.
- Assisting with collection transfers from various locations or moves within the vaults.
- Documenting deaccessions according to the collection policy.
- Processing on demand for projects and research requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution.
- 5+ years of professional expertise in processing analog and born-digital archival materials.
- High level of professionalism and integrity with the capacity to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong knowledge of archival metadata schemas and cataloging practices.
- Knowledge of archival content management systems and technologies. Experience with ArchivesSpace strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Experience with conservation and preservation standards and practices.
- Exacting attention to detail, while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Flexibility and willingness to change focus when directed.
- Experience with a variety of photographic formats.
- Understanding of the film industry and terminology.
Salary range: $32 – $37 an hour, depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K, paid sick and vacation time.
To apply: please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org