Job Opening Title: Part-time Inventory Archivist
Employer Name: Ethnic Heritage Center
Job Location: New Haven, CT
Application Deadline: November 4, 2022
Salary Range: $16-20/hour
Years of experience required: 1-2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: 10/17/2022
Part-Time Inventory Archivist, Ethnic Heritage Center, New Haven, CT
The Ethnic Heritage Center (EHC) is a non-profit ethnic heritage archives, museum, and research center, arising out of the two-decades-long association of five New Haven, Connecticut-based ethnic historical societies. We are based on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University and registered as a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Our member societies are:
• Jewish Historical Society of Greater New Haven, founded in 1976
• Italian-American Historical Society of Connecticut, founded in 1979
• Connecticut Ukrainian-American Historical Society, founded in 1983
• Connecticut Irish-American Historical Society, founded in 1988
• Greater New Haven African-American Historical Society, founded in 2003
Working with EHC and member society officers, staff, and volunteers, the Inventory Archivist will:
• Identify what inventories and description of EHC and member society collections exist.
• If these do not exist, create inventories and description as time allows.
• Establish a system for making collection description accessible at whatever level each member society is comfortable. For example: internally to a member society, within the EHC, or to the public.
• Create forms and hand-outs to facilitate continued updating and sharing of collection inventories and description.
• Prepare a written report on what description exists or was created, what systems exist or were created, and recommendations for future collection work and collections-based projects.
• Help prepare grant applications for additional funding to contue this work
• Other duties may be assigned.
Weekly hours and schedule are flexible but will primarily be on-site on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University. The project will be at least 120 work hours and must not exceed 160 hours. Hourly rate is $16 to $20 hours depending on experience. There are no additional benefits.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science, coursework towards the degree, or comparable education or work experience.
• Proficient computer skills required (Microsoft Office).
• Working knowledge of the operations of collecting institutions.
• Knowledge of local, state and federal resources to continue this work
• Knowledge of archival principles and best practices.
• Ability to work independently and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated communication and project management skills.
• Familiarity with nonprofit organizations, particularly historical societies.
• Familiarity with New Haven’s diverse cultures and history.
Please e-mail a resume and a brief cover letter to the Ethnic Heritage Center at firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of Friday, November 4, 2022.