Job Opening Title: Archives Intern
Employer Name: Barrington Stage Company
Job Location: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Application Deadline: January 15, 2023
Salary Range: $350/week plus housing
Link to job posting: https://www.bsceducation.org/pip
Years of experience required: N/A
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: As an Archives intern, you will assist the Archivist with a variety of collections management and reference services tasks in order to preserve and improve the records maintained in the June M. Guertin Archives. The purpose of this internship is to provide experience and instruction in acquisitioning, processing, and retrieving physical and digital records for a nonprofit corporate archives. This internship runs from Memorial Day to late August and has negotiable weekly hours, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Disability access note:
● Applicants with any form of disability which may interfere with the ability to perform the tasks described in this post are strongly encouraged to apply if they are interested in the position. All tasks can be reconfigured for accessibility.
● This position generally requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, lift record
boxes and equipment weighing a minimum of 10lbs, and type or write information by hand.
● The archival stacks are in a basement which is accessible only by stairs, however
accommodations will be arranged for any interns with mobility restrictions concerning the use of stairs.
● Assist the Archivist in accessioning, arranging, and describing various records acquisitions, culminating in a final project involving the creation of one or more finding aids for specific records collections or series.
● Contribute to the Oral History Project, including planning, interviewing, filming, and transcribing oral history interviews with a variety of individuals who are significant to the history and/or function of Barrington Stage Company.
● Scanning and processing of backlogged records identified as either high use or at-risk.
● Respond to reference requests from other company staff and provide access to archival recordings for in-person patrons
● Assist with videography for Education Department programming, including recording and editing footage of rehearsals and performances, as needed
● Familiarity with the archives profession and basic concepts of records
processing, particularly arrangement and description, and digital collections
● Some knowledge of controlled vocabularies and content standards, including
DACS and Library of Congress classification systems
● Experience with Google Suite applications
● Ability to speak, read, and write in English
● Interest in theatre or theatre history will benefit you, but is not required
● Experience with videography, both in filming and editing, particularly using
Adobe Premiere software
● Experience conducting oral history interviews
To apply, please submit an application via https://www.bsceducation.org/pip by January 15th. You do not have to address any disability concerns in your application. For questions regarding this position, please e-mail Archives@BarringtonStageCo.Org [note that applications will not be accepted this way].