Job Opening Title:
Name of Employer:
The Amblin Hearth Archive
Job Site Location :
Los Angeles, CA
February 15 or until filled
Minimum Degree Requirement:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
The Assistant Archivist position is intended for a recent graduate of an MLIS program, or an early-career archivist interested in expanding skills by working with a wide variety of formats. The person in this position will be responsible for collection management tasks and working with Archivists on the arrangement, description, rehousing, and cataloging of archival materials. Some local travel will occasionally be required. This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Cataloging and Metadata Manager.
This position will include, but will not be limited to, the following tasks:
• Working with Archivists to sort and organize materials for cataloging.
• Housing papers, photographs, audio-visual materials, textiles, and three-dimensional objects according to best practices.
• Data entry and data clean-up projects as assigned.
• Facilitating transfer of materials between departments, especially as part of the accession, digitization, and/or housing workflows.
• Undertaking accessioning and deaccessioning projects, including creating and maintaining files.
• May assist Art Preparator in creation of custom housing for objects.
• Processing on demand for projects and research requests.
• Other duties as assigned.
• MLIS from an ALA-accredited university.
• High level of professionalism and integrity with the capacity to maintain confidentiality.
• Comfort in working both independently and as part of a team.
• Interest in developing technical skills.
• Understanding of archival cataloging, conservation, preservation, and access theories and standards appropriate for an entry-level position.
• Exacting attention to detail, while maintaining a high level of productivity.
• Flexibility and willingness to change focus when directed.
• Some experience with handling analog and/or born-digital archival materials in a professional or internship setting.
• Familiarity with archival metadata schemas (i.e., DACS, DublinCore) and archival content management systems and technologies, especially ArchivesSpace.
• Knowledge or interest in the film industry and its terminology.
Salary range: $25 – $30 an hour, depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K, paid sick and vacation time.
To apply: please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org