Job Opening Title:
Name of Employer:
The Amblin Hearth Archive
Job Site Location :
Los Angeles, CA
February 15 or until filled
Minimum Degree Requirement:
Years of experience required:
$32-$35 an hour depending on experience
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Include instructions for how to apply.:
The Media Archivist will be responsible for processing and cataloging both analog and born-digital materials, preparing assets for digitization, coordinating with vendors to complete digitization projects, and monitoring digital preservation workflows. This position will work with a variety of materials including open reel videotape, videocassette, audiocassette, film, optical disc, LTO, and born-digital. Some local travel may occasionally be required. This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Head of Collection Information and Digital Assets.
This position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Processing and cataloging all types of media, with an initial focus on magnetic media.
• Selecting and preparing materials for digitization, according to established workflows.
• Overseeing the digitization of audiovisual material including determining priorities, working with vendors, and performing QC on deliverables.
• Facilitating secure transfer of born-digital media accessions.
• Monitoring ingests of assets into the digital preservation system.
• Leading a media risk-assessment survey.
• Upholding best practices for collections processing, storage, handling, and use.
• Maintaining playback equipment.
• Data clean-up projects as assigned by Manager.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Key Skills Required
• MLIS from an ALA-accredited university or equivalent relevant work experience.
• 2+ years of archival experience working with analog and born-digital audiovisual materials.
• High level of professionalism and integrity with the capacity to maintain confidentiality.
• Knowledge of archival content management systems and digital preservation systems (experience specifically with ArchivesSpace and Preservica a plus).
• Ability to identify various video and audio formats, recognize signs of deterioration, and address individual preservation requirements.
• Understanding of digital preservation principles, digital formats, and concepts related to digital use, migration, and reformatting.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
• Technical competence and willingness to learn and grow in technical understanding.
• Exacting attention to detail, while maintaining a high level of productivity.
• Flexibility and willingness to change focus when directed.
Salary range: $32-$35 an hour depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K, and paid sick and vacation time.
To apply: please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org