Job Opening Title: Digital Archivist
Employer Name: State Archives of North Carolina
Job Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Application Deadline: 10/7/2022 5:00 PM Eastern
Salary Range: $39,456 – $53,092
Link to job posting: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/jobs/3700085/digital-archivist
Years of experience required: 3 years of progressive experience in archives and/or records management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Digital Archivist is primarily responsible for the development and maintenance of the division’s digital repository of born digital and digitized records and materials. In this role, this position will work in collaboration with their supervisor and other sections to identify appropriate tools and services for the State Archives digital preservation repository and craft documentation, workflows and training for staff and employees who use the repository, including documenting responsibilities and actions.
Duties include but are not limited to:
– Working in collaboration with other sections and units throughout the division to ensure that records/digital assets being produced on behalf of the State Archives are being created using appropriately identified file formats and preserved based on OAIS (ISO 14721) and ISO 16363 Audit and Certification of Trustworthy Records.
– Developing workflows, processes, and procedures regarding ingested of materials into the digital repository, organization of data bags and digital objects within the repository, inventory management and preservation actions, and reference access. Performing regular inventory, virus scans, and preservation actions on files within the digital repository, creating and maintaining metadata and databases about these materials, and answering reference requests for items stored within the digital repository.
– Working closely with state agency and local records analysts to develop guidance and best practices on the creation, updating, and application of standards and policies relating to cloud storage, Microsoft 365, metadata, file naming, file transfer, digital preservation, email archives, GIS data storage and access, and retention/disposition of data that relates to electronic records in state and local government and state universities.
– Collaborating with State Library staff on the website and social media archive for North Carolina state agencies; running the web crawler and analyzing the results.
– Assisting with the maintenance of the State Archives website, including editing assigned pages, redesigns, consultations, and data migrations.
– Writing blog posts about electronic records or other topics; assisting with oversight of State Archives social media accounts in collaboration with the Digital Archivist for Online Programming
– Participating in state and national electronic records teams and committees. Participating in division committees regarding outreach, social media, and other initiatives.